Author Topic: Stream Cleanup Volunteering  (Read 7362 times)

Keyye

Stream Cleanup Volunteering
« on: April 28, 2010, 02:13:56 PM »
I called the Parkville Rec Council and asked specifically about Double Rock Park (and any other local streams in general).

We are fine to go walk the stream along Double Rock Park any time they're open (re: before sunset). I asked if there are any precautions or sign-up we'd need to do, and they said no, but they would recommend using gloves just in case.

At the witan meeting, the concensus decided on the date for a stream cleanup of June 13th, which I can't attend, but I will help plan.

Because I can't attend, those than can should let me know if they'd rather walk along the stream by Double Rock Park, one of the Gunpowder River parks, or another local stream instead. Double Rock Park is 5 minutes up Harford Road from CLG and a Gunpowder River park is an additional 5 minutes up Harford Road from Double Rock.

If there are people who can go on June 13th to stream walk, I'll gather up trash bags (although someone said something about having gloves? otherwise, I'll have to hit up Costco's for some) to prep for whoever can go. Also, we are looking for someone with a wagon that we could cart around trash in. Does anyone have one they can volunteer to bring up to the grove? For anyone going on June 13th, do we have a volunteer to haul the trash away?

If June 13th turns out to not be a good date for a lot of people, I want to organize another weekend anyway too sometime over the summer. Any thoughts on alternative dates? Even if they're in July/August.

Also, even if it's on short notice, but it's supposed to be in the 80's this weekend. If anyone is interested after ROC on Sunday (after Omen discussion and Grove cleanup), we could head out for a mini-river cleanup at Double Rock or any stream close by, especially if we can get a wagon. Any trash we collect I can take to the dump Monday morning. Anyone interested?

I am interested in this being a regular event rather than a one-time event during the summer, even if it's just a few people interested going on their own to walk the streams now and again. Let me know if there is any research or materials I can help you get.

Offline Crystal

• Senior Druid Emeritus & Trustee, Webmaster
  • Web Goddess
  • Druid
    • My Personal Blog
Re: Stream Cleanup Volunteering
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 02:46:09 PM »
June 13th seems to be a bad day all around.

If you guys are willing this Sunday I say go for it (I will not be down).
- Crystal
Senior Druid Emertius and Board of Trustee, Webmaster, Naturalist and Bard

The true show of one's faith is the willingness to go from top to bottom and be just as vigilant and devoted to the "cause". - Crystal Groves

"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it. " - Dwight Eisenhower

"You shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back" - Author Unknown

Keyye

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:38:23 PM »
Three notes:

- Any interest in May 2nd  for stream cleanup? There is a threat of thunderstorms throughout the day (what with the temps in the 80s), so it may be a bust.

- Any comments of a "rain date" for the June 13th date?

- At one point I had a kid's wagon in my shed. May still be there, but may have passed it along to someone who has kids. May try and borrow it back if we decide on a date.

Offline Crystal

• Web Goddess
  • Druid
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
If we have to we can put it off till July and just double up on next quarters activities due to lack of this quarters activities.  I doubt ADF will mind.
- Crystal

The true show of one's faith is the willingness to go from top to bottom and be just as vigilant and devoted to the "cause". - Crystal Groves

"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it. " - Dwight Eisenhower

"You shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back" - Author Unknown

Offline Crystal

• Web Goddess
  • Druid
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 03:56:42 PM »
I've set a new date of June 27th for this.  I will not be able to attend, but we could push it to July if necessary.
- Crystal

Keyye

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
I've got June 27th marked on my calendar. We can then visit the Gunpowder tributary, or Double Rock, or even the reservoir, depending on how far people want to travel.

I do have a wagon, although I think it's more for taking kids for rides than for hauling junk, but it will serve.  I do have some gloves and I do have trashbags.

Offline carynml

• Senior Druid Emeritus and Priest
  • Witan
  • Druid
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:41:07 AM »
I am not trying to bust your bubble here but we usually do stream cleanups in March or April  because its cooler and the poison ivy isn't out yet.

Its supposed to 98 degrees today (a day to do a cleanup ending by 10AM).   What types of heat exhaustion plans do we have in place?  Who is bringing water?  Is there plenty of shade to work and rest under?  If someone collapses, who will carry them out?
-Caryn-

Keyye

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 11:35:56 AM »
Stream cleanup was a success!!

Although even a handful of trash out of a body of water is a success to me.

Many many thanks to Caryn and Will bringing the water jug and offering to haul away a number of trash bags full of gross and recyclables.

Many thanks to them and Taryn, Ashley, and her husband for braving snakes, heat, and twisty turns to scavenge the stream hidey-holes for styrofoam, plastic bottles, loose clothing, plywood, et cetera. It was very very hot, but since it hadn't rained in a bit, there was trash at the high water marks that hadn't been washed further away yet.  The most pervasive trash here was cigarette butts and styrofoam bits.

Despite this, Double Rock Park has a very scenic stream with eroding rock waterfalls and tall old trees. The main section of the park is athletic fields, but along the south of the park it is shaded with winding paths along a watershed stream.

Directions to the park, if you are interested seeing it yourself:

From the Grove:
Drive north on Harford Rd about 2 miles and turn right onto Texas Ave. It will deadend at the Double Rock Park parking lot.

That's it. Texas Ave is a fairly narrow road when there's lots of parked cars, so consider turning onto Woodside Ave off of Harford Rd instead (which is the light or two after crossing Taylor Ave on Harford Rd). When it deadends, turn left onto Glen Rd then the next right is the parking lot.

Here is a list of all the Baltimore County Parks website:
http://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Agencies/recreation/countyparks/cntyparkslist.html

I will be stream-walking again sometime towards the end of July, probably the Gunpowder River off of Harford Rd (by the old Hickey School). Since heat will still be a factor then as well, it won't be a big thing, but if anyone is interested in coming, please let me know.

Offline Crystal

• Web Goddess
  • Druid
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 09:18:50 AM »
Just a note, from our e-mail announcement that went out this morning, Whispering Woods Coven would like to participate in another clean-up of this park maybe this fall.  Yay co-efforts!
- Crystal